Let us march!

An avatar of the author

Doug Kessler

15. 12. 2009 | 1 min read

Let us march!

1 mins left

Get the newsletter

Raw, unfiltered, too-hot-for-Wordpress B2B marketing insights, straight to your inbox, every month.

My favourite quote from Ogilvy On Advertising:

“When Aeshines spoke, they said, ‘How well he speaks’.  When Demosthenes spoke, they said, ‘Let us march!’”

Unfortunately, when the typical B2B copywriter speaks, they say, ‘I wonder what’s for lunch?’. Without doubt, 90% of B2B copywriting is bland and ignorable.  Of the other 10%, a good chunk fails in the other direction: it says, ‘Look at me, aren’t I a clever writer?’.

The only copywriting worth its fee is copywriting that makes people march (after all, who ever heard of Aeshines?).

Published in:

  • b2b-lead-generation

  • b2b-marketing

  • copywriting

Enjoyed this article?
Take part in the discussion

Opt into our crap

We will send the latest stuff written just for B2B content marketers exactly like you. Sound good?

illustration of a an envolope

Related blog/content

How to break free from the benchmark trap

If you’re turning to industry benchmarks to set your performance goals – make sure you’re asking these two questions.

Agustin Rejon | 06. 09. 2023


  1. Allan Michaels


    July 25th, 2016

    Looks like this might have an earlier provenance

    From WikiQuotes:
    Do you remember that in classical times when Cicero had finished speaking, the people said, “How well he spoke” but when Demosthenes had finished speaking, they said, “Let us march.”

    Adlai Stevenson, introducing John F. Kennedy in 1960, as quoted in Adlai Stevenson and The World: The Life of Adlai E. Stevenson‎ (1977) by John Bartlow Martin, p. 549

    1. Doug Kessler

      July 29th, 2016

      Thanks Allan. I imagine they’re both quoting someone else! We’ll get to the source… (probably Demosthenes).

Leave a comment/reply

Hey look: a teeny-tiny cookie request. Would you mind? It’d help us out. Click here to read our privacy policy to see why. Or hit “customize” if you’re fancy like that.